Tile is an excellent choice for floors, walls, countertops and backsplashes. It is durable, beautiful and enduring and it is also an excellent green product for residential and commercial applications. Here are a few aspects of tile that make it an excellent choice for sustainability:
- Tile is made from natural plentiful raw materials such as clay, sand, feldspar, quartz.
- Tile does not harbor allergens, mold or mildew and does not emit VOC’s (Volatile Organic Compounds).
- Tile is fired using natural gas, one of the cleanest burning fuels available.
- Most tile manufacturers us pre-consumer recycled raw materials and some post consumer recycled materials.
- Most tile manufactures recycle 90 – 100% of the water used in production.
- Water based glazes are used by most companies.
- Tiles produced domestically use less fuel in shipping
- Tile that has been discarded will not leech toxic materials
- Many manufactures will re- landscape with indigenous plants to create habitat for wildlife after a clay pit has been depleted.
Tile companies who practice the above measures are American Olean, American Florim, SYZYGY, Mirage. These tiles and more can be found a Rubble Tile in Minnetonka, MN.
Letitia Little is a licensed, award winning interior designer in Minneapolis, MN. Visit www.letitalitle.com for more info.